Covid-19 driven anxiety, uncertainty and boredom from lockdowns and too much time at home has caused many people to abandon healthy eating habits. Snacking on whatever is around effects how our bodies function and anything that effects our brain, such as refined sugar, effects our mood too. Making good food choices helps manage stress and boosts our immune system at the same time. All our internal engines perform better on premium fuel. Here are some food suggestions to lift your spirits and improve your health.
VIRUS MOOD FOODS
- Citrus fruit and red bell peppers (both rich in vitamin C)
- Spices: ginger, garlic, turmeric and chili peppers can be easily added to soups, stews, stir-frys and salad dressings.
- Lots of science suggests zinc has some virus fighting effects. Foods rich in zinc: oysters, clams, mussels, cashews, liver, beef, and egg yolks.
- Magnesium-rich foods may help you to feel calmer and help support immunity. Stress can deplete our magnesium levels too. Legumes, nuts, seeds, leafy greens, and whole grains are magnesium rich foods.
- Fatty fish like wild Alaskan salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids. A study on medical students in 2011 was one of the first to show that omega-3s may help reduce anxiety.